I recently took a 2 week trip to Thailand with my boyfriend. No reservations, just plane tickets and a general idea of places we wanted to visit. Our plan was to island hop and have the flexibility to travel around as we pleased.
Thailand was the first trip I’ve had without reservations. I was a little nervous but it turned out to be an amazing experience. When you island hop in Thailand, you will most likely take a boat from island to island (some flight options are available). One of the best things about not having reservations, is getting off the boat, looking around and deciding which area you want to stay. Once we decided which area we wanted to stay, we would go from hotel to hotel to ask about availability and look at the rooms. Once we found the perfect place, we would negotiate pricing and settle in. This allowed us to not only stay in some of the best lodging but to get great rates.
If you choose to island hop without reservations, I would highly recommend brining a backpack instead of a suitcase as you may have to walk through the sand or dirt streets.
Overall, Thailand has some of the most beautiful beaches I’ve seen. When you visit the beaches, you will be sure to find fire dancing at night, beachfront dining, beachfront lodging, water sports, excursions and monkeys. Besides the cost of the plane ticket, everything is relatively inexpensive.
Tips for Thailand
- Negotiate prices (lodging, long boats, activities, street food)
- Try the Pad Thai
- Learn basic Thai greetings
- Rent a Moped
- Take a private long boat to explore some of the smaller islands where there is no lodging
- If you plan on going to the Full Moon party, make sure you secure a reservation at a nearby hotel
- Ask other travels about their experiences at other islands. Most people visit multiple islands on their trip